eggplant parmesan stacks
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 small eggplant (12 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cups coarse breadcrumbs from fresh artisanal bread*
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar (24 ounce) farm to fork® marinara sauce with fresh garlic
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- 8 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Set 2 wire racks over a double layer of paper towels. Slice eggplant into 12 rounds (¾-inch-thick). Sprinkle with salt. Let stand on wire rack 20 min. Blot dry with additional paper towels. (This step eliminates some of the bitterness and extracts some moisture from the eggplant).
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 400°F. Spread bread crumbs in shallow baking pan. Bake 5 min. or until golden brown. When cool, combine crumbs and herbs in shallow dish.
- Beat eggs and water in second shallow dish. Place flour in third shallow dish.
- Coat eggplant slices with flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then coat in crumbs. (Avoid excess mess by using one hand for dry ingredients, and one hand for wet).
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat until a bread crumb sizzles when added to oil. Cook eggplant in batches 2-3 min. on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Spread ¾ cup sauce in bottom of 2-quart square baking dish. Arrange 6 eggplant slices in single layer over sauce. Top each slice with 1 tablespoon ricotta, 1-½ tablespoons sauce and 1 mozzarella slice. Repeat layers.
- Bake 12-15 min. or until heated through. Sprinkle with basil just before serving.